Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 09 Feb 1997 12:55:13 -0700
From:         bill <bill@freeholder.com>
Subject:      "new" camper report

Well, I'v had the '81 westie for almost 2 weeks now. There are a couple of minor problems I could use some advice about.

First, when I start it, it takes several seconds (maybe 7 to 10) for the oil light to go out and the buzzer to quit. Then, if I let it idle too low during the first minute of so it is on, the light will flash again. It seems to happen more when I am going out my driveway, which is down through a ditch.

Second, the spedo sticks. When I accelerate, it comes up much slower than my actual speed, and when I slow down, it may not drop at all, frequently remaining at 30 or 40 mph even when I have stopped. The odometer works fine.

I took it out and sprayed some silicon into it, without noticible effect. In hindsight, this was most likely a mistake.

Would soaking of washing it is solvent help?

To take it apart requires untwisting some twisted pieces of metal that hold it together, and I'm not ready for that, unless that's the only way.

Next item -- there is a rubber boot connecting some sort of housing on the back of the alternator to the body on the inside rear by the passenger side taillight housing. It looks like some sort of air intake. It has come off, and in the limited space available, I am having trouble putting it back on. I am hoping somebody has a great trick that will make this easier... probably not, but hope springs eternal...

Finally, I posted a picture of my new buddy on my web site photo page, at:

HTTP://www.win.net/~qcs/

Thanks,

Bill ---------------------------------------------------------- Remember, it ain't what you don't know that hurts you, it's what you do know that's wrong.