Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Feb 1997 22:22:34 +0000
From:         vwbus@netbiz.net
Subject:      Ron's Parts, 1.9 Diesel Engines, etc.

Sorry, a couple of people requested a number for Ron's Parts, BC, and I lost their addresses as I wanted to call and verify it was Ron's who sells these things. It is. The 1.9 diesel is about $1850 with the D Port head or $1950 with the standard 1.6 head (which must apparently be harder to get in good shape) both hydraulic lifter I assume but forgot to ask. Why for would you want the 1.6 head, well it seems that you must of course match your intake manifold to the head, which will require welding and porting of your stock manifold or simply in a Golf/Jetta will require a later manifold. The block is like 10mm taller FWIW which should not hurt in a Vanagon. Other thinks include an acessory kit you must buy to the tune of $175 including flanges, mounts, etc, and OOOF, a $300 vacuum pump as the vacuum pump drive changed entirely and is no longer the standard distributor drive. So say about $2500 like I guestimated for 78 or so horses, your 1.6 injection pump being in OK shape. He says people have done it, it is a nice conversion. Or for the slightly more daring, a guy is trying to sell through them a 10,000 km used 1.9 TURBO diesel, everything included, end to end (turbo injection pump $$$, turbo, pipes, etc) out of a Golf for $4k, should afford 100 honest hp and likely the INCREASED mileage typical of pressurized diesels, now short of TDI, THATS A CONVERSION, could you imagine maybe 35 mpg, and the ability to blow off a Wasserboxer!!! Would be worth working out the piping for vanagon use.

Anyway they are at (604)944-0494

John vwbus@netbiz.net