Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Feb 97 14:16:30 EST
From:         Sean Bartnik <sbart7kb@www.mwc.edu>
Subject:      Propane success!

Hey all, Well, today I took the propane tank with leaky valve to a local RV place (Fredericksburg RV). I showed the service guy which valve was leaking, luckily they had a valve on hand that would fit (Sherwood, I think was the brand name). The valve itself was $45.29 and their labor rate is $56 an hour with a minimum half-hour labor charge, which is $28.

So I paid $79 by the time tax was added :-( . I'm not too happy about that. I suppose I could have just bought the valve and installed it myself but I guess it's better to leave it to someone who knows what he's doing. He put a little propane in the tank to make sure it didn't leak.

Well, I took the tank home and decided to go ahead and install it because it's sunny today but it's supposed to snow tonight. It's already getting cloudy out. I installed the tank, which, as I predicted, was a little more difficult than removing it :-) . Nothing too serious though and I re-connected the two propane lines that go into the van and got them so that they are not leaking.

And now I have propane!!!! Woohoo!! I'm ready for camping now. The stove and the fridge are both working and happy once again :-) .

BTW, while I was at the RV place I saw a couple interesting accessories that might be useful to us VW campers. First was a water tank filler, which is a plastic piece that threads to the end of your standard hose and then goes into a thinner long clear plastic tube which fits into the tank. I figured this would be good for us folks because a standard hose won't fit the outside filler neck for the water tank. I didn't buy it, it was $3.69 and they probably have it cheaper at Wal-Mart or something.

On the back of this package, the company's other products were showcased. They make a little fan that sits on the floor of your refrigerator and blows up to better circulate the air. I know this circulation really helps out our Dometic fridges. They didn't have any at the store or I would have bought one but keep your eyes open for this little gadget.

Take care, Sean -- ***************************************************************** Sean Bartnik "Life is tough, sbart7kb@www.mwc.edu but it's tougher if you're stupid." '81 Vanagon Westy --John Wayne

Fahrvergnugen means "push harder."