Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Feb 1997 13:20:45 -0800
From:         Barbara Sutton <bsutton@gladstone.uoregon.edu>
Subject:      Tierra del Fuego 2000

Hi everybody. As I mentioned before, I have done the overland trip from California to Argentina in 1992. My wife and I have been planning to do it again (this time with a VW). The caravan thing sounds attractive though...Regarding my trip experience throughout Latin America (and since there is so much to talk about) I propose, if anyone thinks that this would be informative, writing something like a weekly posting of our past trip(ie: one country of our itinerary each week). I have all the records, such as border paperwork, slides, maps, currency exchange, food and water quality, mechanics and type of parts available, gasoline quality and prices, cultural,geographical,etc. etc. I was planning to write an article about the whole thing. I'd like to give my perspective on some of the comments expressed in the list so far: 1)I guess my main concern is the vehicle type used. Unfortunately, Vanagons are not popular in Latin America, so parts would be scarce. Are you thinking of taking a "parts car"(vehicle loaded with parts) along? >From my experience, the best three choices to do this trip are : pre 90's american van or pick up truck, pre-90's Toyota truck (4WD OK), or a pre-pancake engine VW bus. Parts and mechanics are available for these throughout the continent. We drove a'75 V8 Dodge (ex school van), the longer model made.Rustic, strong and reliable. Didn't even get a flat tire in the six months. Only mechanical problem was electrical, at the worst possible time, in the worst possible place (Peru's guerrilla territory, at 5,000 metres-16,405 feet-altitude). 2)I have lived in Ushuaia for two years and visited it many times. (I am a native argentinian) It is a beautiful, touristy town, almost a city.Summer temperatures are perfectly bearable. There IS camping available nearby,managed by National Parks. There are also many hotels available, which range from 1 to 4-1/2 stars. 3)Carrying pets sounds like a real complication to me. Border crossings are tedious enough. Delays, bribes, vehicle fumigation, etc. 4)2-1/2 months sounds unrealistic. Tim Cahill's 23 and something days should not be used as a parameter because not only he had such an enormous economic,mechanical and strategical backup (GM, etc)but also because it is a completely different trip from the one we are talking about. We started planning our trip to last 3 months, it ended up during 6, and we agreed it should have been 12...I am not saying that it can be done in 2-1/2, but I would imagine that a big part of the trip would be the cultural-geographical experience, which requires extra time to stay in places, relate to people, get to know the area's major points of interest (ie: Macchu Picchu), etc. Oops, my lunch break is gone. More later...(Darien Gap, useful sources, Carnet de Passage, etc) Cris. '91 Westie '66 Kombi '67 Deluxe