Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Feb 1997 23:02:52 +0000
From:         vwbus@netbiz.net
Subject:      Re: Clutch-related problems

> > My friendly VW dealer will gladly perform these services for about $650. > > That's just out of the question. Sadly, I'm wondering what my options are

As I've said many many times, both rebuild kits are available for around $30 each, and with care and fair condition cylinders rebuliding is a great soultion. Otherwise, Kyle at VW MotoSports, Bus Boys or any number of people can provide both cylinders under $150 new, and changing out both is a trivial (under 1.5 hours with luck and bleeding) procedure. The biggest potential problems are getting the hydraulic line off the slave, getting the truely annoyingly positioned mounting bolts on and off the slave, and keeping the amount of fluid you spill all over the interior when removing the master to a minimum (pump it all out the slave bleed then surround the pedal area with an old towel before pulling the resevoir pipe off the back) If you pump it too dry, you may need a MityVac ($20 WALMART) to get the darn new master to prime if there is a big air bubble (likely) in the line, that is the reason Bentley says pressure bleed only. A MityVac and standard brake bleeding techniques will be more than sufficient though. So total on the outside $170 and 2 hours work, maybe only $75 and 3 hours if you rebuild. Change your brake fluid out entirely while you're at it, Castrol GT/LMA DOT4 (WALMART) a great choice and change the rear wheel cylinders out (Varga $14 anywhere) as the brake system is likely bad as well but maybe not as brakes get bled, clutches never are.

John vwbus@netbiz.net