Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Feb 1997 20:02:04 -0800
From:         Barbara Sutton <bsutton@gladstone.uoregon.edu>
Subject:      Re: Tierra del Fuego 2000

> Oops, my lunch break is gone. More later...(Darien Gap, useful sources, > Carnet de Passage, etc) > Cris. > '91 Westie > '66 Kombi > '67 Deluxe I am back from work. I've already received a couple of emails suggesting it would be a good idea to post "chapters" of my panamerican experience.I think I'll start this week, but don't want to comit to regular postings. In them, I'll be as brief as possible, but feel free to forward any comments, questions, etc. On the side:

-"Tierra del Fuego" (Land of Fire), called that way because fires were the first traces of inhabitants that Spanish conquistadores saw from their boats while incursionating into the Beagle Channel. The locals (the Onas) used these big fires as a way to stay warm.

-For those of you who are wondering about the Darien Gap. There is just no way. No matter how Syncroed you might be.Swamps, mosquitoes, drug dealers, guerrilla, etc. It is said that the gap has been kept roadless not only because it would be a major engineering enterprise, but because Panama is not really interested in being connected with Colombia.(They think that Colombians will not bring anything good to their country, and that their cows would transmit aphthous (disease) to theirs).

-"South 55" sounds great to me too. (In reply to Coyote's message)

Some sources: 1-"Straightening Out the Road to Cape Horn" Road & Track, Jan.'84.(Follow up of R&T's May '83 article) The 1940/41 Pan American expedition in a 1941 Plymouth sedan by Sullivan C. Richardson, Arnold Whitaker and Kenneth C. Van Hee. 2-"Quest for the Holy Trail", Americas (the OEA magazine), Vol. 41, # 1. Excellent article about different people that have crossed the americas by car, horse, bicycle, foot, etc. 3-"We Drove Panama's Darien Gap" National Geographic, March 1961. Official National Geographic expedition, with a Land Rover and a Jeep pick-up truck. 4-Franck, Harry Alverson. "The Pan American Highway from the Rio Grande to the...", "Working North From Patagonia ...","Vagabonding Down the Andes...", "Redescovering South America" These are old, but good. 5-Henley, Constance Matilda Jordan. "Grandmother Drives South" 6-Tschiffely, A.F. "Tschiffely's ride: 10,000 miles in the ..." Pan American by horse! 7-Richardson, Sullivan Calvin "Adventure South; Three Men and a Lone Car..." Have to go again... Cris.