Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Feb 1997 00:19:26 -0500
From:         Jeff <jmt@life.bio.sunysb.edu>
Subject:      More on the FCC Info.....PLZ EMAIL isp@fcc.gov to tell them how you feel.

FORWARDED:::: Subject: Important re: FCC Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 08:07:46 -0500 From: Long Island PCUG <roy@lipcug.org> To: Info@lipcug.org

****Forwarded I'm sending this email to inform you of a very important matter currently under review by the FCC. I first heard about this a few weeks ago from a friend who works for Lucent Technologies, an AT&T breakaway company. Most telephone companies have filed a proposal with the FCC to impose per minute charges for your internet service. They contend that your usage has or will hinder the operation of the telephone network. The FCC has created an email box foryour comments, responses must be received by February 13, 1997. Send your comments to isp@fcc.gov - and tell them what you think." Before commenting on the proposed rule making, you may want to look at the rule. rule.

The proposed rule making is available at

http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Common_Carrier/Notices/fcc96488.txt

In addition, all comments to date are also available at the FCC. homepage has a search facility and you may want to use "Access Charge Reform" as your search argument.

http://www.fcc.gov

If an average phone bill is $45.00 per month (this is with using a company that charges 10 cents per minute for long distance to try and keep our phone

bills down). A family that uses the Internet an average of 4 hours per day This is 240 minutes per day or 720 minutes per 30 day period. Estimates of usage fees ranging between 6 cents per minute to 40 cents per minute. An average phone bill would increase from $45.00 per month to between &89.00 and $333.00 per month!!! Every person needs to take their average phone bill and average internet usage and see what YOUR phone bill would be if the Internet Usage Fees are approved. I think you will be schocked!! Even a flat rate will not only affect all Internet users but especially those who depend on the Internet for access to the outside world:fixed income, home-bound, elderly, and handicapped. The usage fees will also negatively affect our educational institutions and businesses. Independent Internet Access company charge $19.95 for unlimited Internet access (Long before "Big Business even thought about the Internet). Companies like them will lose customers and probably be forced out of business. So much for the entrepreneurial spirit that our ancestors founded our country on. If this Internet usage fee is approved, it won't end there. With the advent of televisions that are "Internet ready" using cable lines, the cable companies will be the next in line to get a "cut of the action". Everyone needs to write the FCC NOW at - fccinfo@fcc.gov to voice your opinion. Show the FCC how this usage fee will DIRECTLY affect you, the individual citizen. A mass mailing by the people who will be DIRECTLY AFFECTED by a usage fee is mandatory to let the FCC know that their responsiblity is to the citizens of the United States (US) and not to the Telephone Companies who want to line their pockets and pick ours. When the internet was first created, the telephone companies laughed at the concept and turned it down. The Internet concept was first adopted by universities to share information. Now that it has become popular, the telephone companies want to get a piece of the pie. Too late! ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Snip off of the FCC Report noted above

26. Incumbent LEC end offices serving end users switch interstate traffic between the transport trunks carrying traffic to and from the IXC POPs and the end users' local loops. Our Part 69 rules require incumbent LECs to recover the costs of the local switch through a per-minute local switching charge assessed on IXCs. Part 69 also requires incumbent LECs to impose a per-minute TIC on interstate switched access traffic. We note that an incumbent LEC's provision of transport and local switching for terminating interstate traffic is functionally the same as its provision of transport and termination service under the 1996 Act.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>< ><> Roy Linker, President E-Mail: roy@lipcug.org Home Page: http://www.li.net/~lipcug Hotline/FAX: 516-546-7857 BBS: 516-546-8025

Mailing Address Long Island PC Users Group 659 Stratford Rd. Baldwin, NY 11510-1031