Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Feb 1997 01:32:16 -0700
From:         bill <bill@freeholder.com>
Subject:      "New" camper 2nd report

About a week ago, I posted my first report on my new to me '81 Vanagon Westie. I had several questions, and folks here were great. Thanks very much for all the help. Here are the problems I reported and the solutions that worked

>First, when I start it, it takes several seconds (maybe 7 to 10) for the oil light to go >out and the buzzer to quit. Then, if I let it idle too low during the first minute of so >it is on, the light will flash again.

Joel Walker told me to check for a Fram oil filter and get rid of it. That cleared up the problem.

>Second, the spedo sticks. When I accelerate, it comes up much slower than my actual >speed, and when I slow down, it may not drop at all, frequently remaining at 30 or 40 mph >even when I have stopped. The odometer works fine.

Several people gave me advice, and I took it apart and lubed it. It works now, but I have to adjust the spring tension, as it is reading *way* low, but this problem seems to be in hand.

>Next item -- there is a rubber boot connecting some sort of housing on the back of the >alternator to the body on the inside rear by the passenger side taillight housing. It >looks like some sort of air intake. It has come off, and in the limited space available, >I am having trouble putting it back on.

Again, several people suggested solutions, and the one from Jeff Carver, to put it on the body first, and then the alternator, did the trick. I was trying to do it the other way.

In recent years, I have become a "take it to the shop" kind of guy, but with all the great people here, I have decided to do all the work on the Westie myself. I hope I wont seem like too much of a bother, as I am sure I will be here asking a lot of questions you may have heard before.

I'm not completely ignorant about auto mechanics. In the past I have done a lot, including removing, completely rebuilding, and replacing an engine, but it was all "American heavy metal." No Volks experience. Also, I have a good friend with a '79 van, and I was always kidding him about it. He has sure been having fun the past couple of weeks.

My next project will be to track down an oil leak on the passenger side of the engine. It seems to be above the exhaust pipe on that side, as it drips down on the pipe. Any sugestions as to where to look first?

Thanks again,

Bill ---------------------------------------------------------- Remember, it ain't what you don't know that hurts you, it's what you do know that's wrong.