Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Feb 1997 19:56:13 -0800
From:         "Shawn & Janis Wright" <vwnut@smuslabs.smus.bc.ca>
Subject:      Re: Koolatron cooler

> Ok, folks, what's the consensus here? > > I don't normally go camping in the Mojave Desert, so I doubt I'd encounter > many 100+ degree days. > > so, which is better, the Westy Dometic, or the Koolatron??? > We do get the odd ~100 deg day here, so...

I found the Dometic excellent when camping with highs of 70-80 during the day, even on 12v when driving, then propane at night. During a long weekend parked in full sun at the inlaws, I had the fridge on for 2 days where it reached nearly 100 each day (~38C), it no longer kept solid ice on the coils, but the food was still cold. It did however, run out of gas after 2 days, but I had 10+ days of camping on it already. Aside from occasional swearing fits trying to light the thing, I've had no reason to complain about ours. In fact, during the first week we used it, I froze the milk a few times before finding the right setting.

Shawn & Janis Wright '88 Westy (338k) '85 Jetta TD (367k) VWnut@smus.bc.ca (swright@smus.bc.ca) http://www.islandnet.com/~swright/vw.html