Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Feb 1997 21:26:38 -0800
From:         James Cohen <jscohen@sprynet.com>
Subject:      Re: 2.0  Inline Engine in a 87 Vanagon!

> > > I saw a 87 Vanagon with a 2.0 inline engine installed in it. I work on >VW's daily. > The shop I work for (Volks Cafe) has done a # of 1.8 gas engine >conversions in >Vanagons. We try very hard to make the installs look as clean as >possible. The >install of this 2.0 engine was a work of art! A Air-box instead of early >injection as >we usually use.

Can we assume that these 1.8 and 2.0 engines are VW Golf/Jetta engines? If not, what kind are they? And are they using the G/J injection?

> The tech told me that it was hard to get it slowed down! He said it totally >overpowered the braking system .

That's a curious statement, was he trying to brake and accelerate at the same time? I've had no problems slowing any of my Vans down from 85+ mph. Are they going up to 100?

> The main reason that this van was being built was to offer a "Kit" to do >this >conversion. The kit would be ALL the parts to convert a Gas or those who >have a >Diesel, and allready have the Oil pan Engine mount etc would onmly need >part of the >kit. >> I will be informed as soon as the "KITS" are ready to be sold. I WILL >>inform >everyone on the list as soon as I get the word.

What kind of time frame are we talking about? Over or under 6 months?

> > I know how the 1.8 conversion feels to drive, I can't wait to feel this 2.0 >conversion. > > Kyle

At some point do you think you could offer advice for those who wish to do a conversion without the "kit" since you're already experienced?

James

New York City, and Williamstown Ma, Aspen, CO (winters)

Alternate address: stirling@aol.com

Red '93 Corrado VR6 SLC (Highly modified) Red '87 GTI G60!! <---- and '67 deluxe split window (9 pass.) '71 Westy Breadloaf (high performance engine B&B) '81, '85 Westy Vanagons '83 9 passanger Vanagon '66, '74 (9 pass) busses (decomposing) ----------------------------------------------------------