Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Feb 1997 13:29:56 -0500
From:         Dereyk Patterson <woodmonger@postoffice.worldnet.att.net>
Subject:      Re: I need help! I'm about to shoot the syncro

ERIC ZENO wrote: > > On Fri, 14 Feb 1997, Dereyk Patterson wrote: > > > I have a problem with my syncro. The thing vibrates at about 45mph on > > up. I removed the drive shaft, It checked out O.K. Without drive shaft > > installed, there is no vibration. HMMM? I checked wheel bearings, > > replaced 1 (front) problem still persists. I check cv's, replace a full > > set of rears (didn't need to be replaced) Problem still persists. Today > > (Valentines day) We got snow, and I got stuck ( I forgot to mention that > > I just bought this thing. I'm familiar with 2wd Vanagons. Never owned a > > > > Dereyk Patterson > > > > I had the same problem. Turned out that I had a bad tire. > Some how the driveshaft caused the vibration to be alot > worse. Put the van up on a lift and run the motor in > gear. Watch the tires for a broken belt. > > Eric Zeno

Well, I replaced the front diff, and now I have four wheel drive. I also have an extra diff with a toasted Viscous coupling.

The vibration is still there. It starts in at 45mph (real bad) and then evens out at 55mph becoming a high freaquency vibration. You really think it's a tire. I had it on a lift before all this, and the guys that checked it out mentioned that I had 3 bent wheels. I hope this is the end of all this. I have spent about $1000.00 on all this so far.

If I do need wheels, (I followed all the discussions on the allow wheel symposium) should I just get the ones that the tire rack has (borbett replica's) Or should I just get the stock steel wheels. (I assume that the stocs probably cost between $60-$80, and the alloy borbets come in at $110)?

Thanks.

Desperate in N.Y with the Sincro from hell!

Dereyk Patterson