Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Feb 1997 22:15:50 +0000
From:         vwbus@netbiz.net
Subject:      Re: If you've replaced your CV joints--please read

> My all have more than 100k miles on each, and I have three Vanagons, one > a Syncro -- 24 CV's on personal cars. I seem to replace these on other folks > cars more than mine, but all four of the joints on my Honda were needed at > about 140k. The only Lobro complete failure I've seen was the cage cracking. >

The hose clamp line is ludicrous BS, and I note incidently I'm not 100% sure that the origional VW OEM boots were even clamped period, I think it varied year by year. No way that could have unbalanced a driveshaft sufficiently, make me more worried about the fact that these new Lobro joints are South American in manufacture, even the one on you friendly dealers shelf. I've seen total joint failure of inner race, in the '81 never likely greased since new. Failed on the way home, a ball galled, thats real hard to do, but actually it still worked I drove 100 miles on it easily. Actually as I've said many times the T2 joint quality and hardening seem spotty and erratic over the years at best, I've seen '76 like new at 125k and '85 shot at 75k go figure. To the origional poster I'd be looking for a better reason like something permitting the joint to go beyond its operating angle frequently, incorrect (overly long) shocks, missing bump stop something like that. No way a properly greased joint even SA manufacture should fail catastrohically in under 50k. And I've used Transforms rebuilds sucessfully for some time now in quite a few vehicles let alone their new. FWIW it like to use a good quality nylon cable tie on the inside as I buy my OEM boots for $7.50 each without clamps/grease. And despite old wives tails to the contrary I've never had a cable tie loosen up on me on many cars in many 100's of thousand of miles, and the cable tie weighs less (gigggle) than the factory crimp clamp.

John vwbus@netbiz.net