Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Feb 1997 18:28:39 +0000
From:         vwbus@netbiz.net
Subject:      Re: <Syncro>  viscous coupling

I'm going to shove something out a this juncture, if one had a dead viscous coupling, perhaps if indeed the stock fluid is unavailable, and likely not sufficient anyway, as it seems the phase change may have been related to the pressurization imparted before it was sealed, after all pressure often effects phase change doesn't it (thermo is way back I'm a solid mechanics guy), and likely your seals are shot which bled the pressure anyway (a good reason never to unhook the front as seals dry when not used (things not spinning). MAYBE it would be better than nothing to fill a dead one with a highly viscous silicone of viscosity near the thickened VW fluid stage. It would gain you an admittedly arcane system, essentially center diff locked so 50/50 torque split at all time, far better than nothing. And it should not have any extreme effect on handling or mileage, the old Q syncro once broke with the center locked and I was some time gets the parts from Germany to fix, I saw no real mileage detraction, and you still have full left to right differentiation. Seems a better thing to be looking for as a last resort measure IMHO instead of the exotic and likely insufficient in itself VW fluid. I'd bet that for offroading this would be in fact a superior solution. Hell has anyone considered modifying for a mechanical front/rear diff like the quattro system in fact, a lot more reliable than the hokey exotic viscous stuff. One more final bit of interesting conjecture. They make a viscous coupler just like the syncro to retrofit to full size chevy blazer, I saw the ads myslef a few years back but remember no specifics, worked EXACTLY like the VW solution so somebody else must make this stuff.

John vwbus@netbiz.net