Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Feb 1997 19:24:09 -0800
From:         "David Tanzer" <dtanzer@compuserve.com>
Subject:      Westy Questions

I am the proud new owner of a '91 Westy which my wife and I and my 2 1/2 year old daughter will be using for an extended (~1 year) trip to Mexico, Belize and Costa Rica. I have several questions that I'd like to run by you folks. Please forgive me if they're stupid - I'm a new owner:

1. The fridge seems to work fine on battery power, but I can't seem to get it lit to run on propane. I follow the directions, and the blinking red light does indeed go out, but I never see the blue flame in the sight hole in the fridge. Am I doing something wrong?

2. What are the best floor mats to buy?

3. Where's the best source for small parts - I'm missing a few minor trim pieces (e.g., one curtain tie-back, some trim screws, etc.).

4. What consumables would you take on a trip of this duration - I'm planning to take a set of belts, some hoses (the ones that attach directly to the engine), fuel, oil and air filters, and a set of spark plugs. Anything else that I should bring along?

5. I will need to tow a light trailer. What's the best source for a trailer hitch? Additionally, I have a really nice flat bed trailer that tows great, but I'm having trouble finding a 4x8 waterproof box to go on it. Any recommendations for such a thing, or can someone recommend a good, light trailer to buy?

If you wouldn't mind, could you please CC your response to me (dtanzer@compuserve.com), as I haven't subscribed to the list (three weeks 'til departure and no time to read all the wonderful items on this list).

Thanks in advance,

David Tanzer