Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Feb 1997 14:51:14 -0800
From:         bayer@sybase.com (David Bayer)
Subject:      Re: disconnect 02 sensor

>| he asked if I had ever had to replace my 02 sensor. I said no and asked why >| and he said his went bad and his mechanic (the same VW dealer I battled >| with over the ECU) simply disconnected it. He said he didn't notice a >| difference but was worried of the effects. He said the dealer said it was >| only for emissions. I thought it also served a purposed on telling the ecu >| how the engine was running, as in too rich, etc. Does anybody have any more >| info?

The O2 sensor will correct for a rich mixture (when it is working), an over rich mixture will dump very high levels of CO and HCs into one's exhaust pipes. High CO and HCs will react in the catalytic converter to come out as water and carbon dioxide and a lot of heat. If enough heat is produced, the catalytic converter's cermic (I think it is cermic in most of them) plates will melt or break free and the converter will be useless. One would then have an expensive repair ($900 from the dealer, $250 for the same one from a mechanic, $100 from other places though the quality was suspect by the mechanic) and be spewing HCs and CO into the atomsphere, but only if the car is running rich....

Overall, the o2 sensor is the thing that corrects for small problems that come about with age of the intake system (except I suppose a failure of the injectors). It can compensate for a pretty large vaccumm leak as well as a faulty fuel pressure regulator. Try inducing a vacuum leak by bending the idle stablizer tube off its nipple slowly. I got a hole the size of a penny before the engine quit...

dave