Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Feb 97 13:31:30 EST
From:         Sean Bartnik <sbart7kb@www.mwc.edu>
Subject:      camping directions

Hey all, Here are some directions to Kiptopeke State Park.

The park is located only three miles from the northern terminus of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, so it's on the very southern tip of the Eastern Shore. It's on Route 704, which is off of Route 13.

If you're coming from the D.C. area (like Alexandria or Takoma Park) you may want to get on Route 50 east and cross over the bridge to the shore, at which point Route 50 splits into Route 301 going north and Route 50 going south. Route 50 will eventually connect with Route 13 (Route 50 and 13 are both U.S. Routes), with Route 50 going east and Route 13 going south. You want to get on Route 13 and follow it all the way down until you encounter Route 704 (should be on the right) and the park entrance is within a half mile. Calculating this using the map scale and my own crude devices, this works out to about 180 miles, give or take a few. I'm not sure how much time it will take, depends on what kind of road Route 50 and 13 are.

If you're coming from Pennsylvania or New Jersey, your best bet is probably to stick with Interstate 95 until you get into Delaware, at which point you can pick up Route 13 south directly.

If you're anywhere else in Maryland, probably you want to go the same way as the D.C. folks.

If you're coming from The Richmond area, your shortest trip will probably be to get on Interstate 64 east until you get to Norfolk and then pick up Route 13 north there and go over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel (I think the toll is $10 or so but it is a 21 mile long bridge-tunnel -- might be worth the price just for the novelty). Of course, once you reach the other end, go about three miles, then turn west on Route 704 and you come to the park. This trip should be roughly 120 miles.

Me, I'm kinda in the middle. Fredericksburg is right in between D.C. and Richmond, so I've got a long trip no matter how I cut it. I may go in one way and out the other, it's probably about the same either way. I would like to drive the bridge-tunnel. But it's probably too expensive to do it twice :-) . Hmm, I get to add 50 miles to either way.

And John Anderson, you may be best off just taking Route 50 all the way in.

Any questions or corrections (I'm sure people know some good shortcuts) please e-mail me.

Sean

-- ***************************************************************** Sean Bartnik "Life is tough, sbart7kb@www.mwc.edu but it's tougher if you're stupid." '81 Vanagon Westy --John Wayne

Fahrvergnugen really means "push harder."