Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Feb 1997 15:15:38 -0800
From:         bayer@sybase.com (David Bayer)
Subject:      coolant system flush ideas?

Hello- I want to flush my coolant system as the PO used regular antifreeze which I believe has been in there for quite a long time (well, as long as the engine has been in there as it was replaced). I want to use a propylene glycol based antifreeze instead of the ethylene glycol based stuff (or did I just reverse that - I have already gotten 4 gallons of the stuff to use. The container says that the two should not mix (which I will do when I get home, I would like to see if it produces some nasty gums or the like), and to flush the cooling system throughly before putting the new stuff in. So I need to figure out two things- how do I get all the coolant out of the system (like the raditor hoses that run to the front of the car), and then, how do I get clean water to cycle through the system? The latter question I feel is a bit more difficult because I need to get the raditor cleaned out which means getting water to run up there. My only thoughts would be to remove the thermostat and let the car run a little bit to force water through the whole system. Any one have any other ideas?

dave