Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Feb 1997 23:08:22 -0600
From:         Ken Hooper <bighouse@mphs.com>
Subject:      Re: **BIG NEWS!!**

Tim Smith, blowing smoke again:

> >If my name and email address has been passed on from V@L to a 3rd party > >I want it removed from any newly created list. The distribution of mailing > >lists without express permission of the members is something generally > >frowned upon. I trust you will have no problem complying with this removal > >request Ron.

This is misleading. Nobody is "distributing the mailing list". And it is not "generally frowned upon" to have public review of a list roster; most lists have this, v@l has had it since I've been keeping track, type2 had it until we changed servers recently, and there are several legitimate reasons for doing it that way.

Your email addresses are not being "passed on" to a third party. In the case of the aircooled list, Bus Depot and BusBoys are cleared to pull down the roster in order to *and only in order to* check whether somebody is really a listee. Most people can't get at the roster.

In the case of the watercooled list, v@l has always had open review. Ron checked with Gerry and it was announced to you as a matter of courtesy. Any vendor could have done it without anybody's permission. That ought to tell you something about the kind of vendors these are; they're public about all of this.

This is not being done so that vendors can spam you. If either of these vendors spams you, let me know and I will personally see to it that that vendor suffers ceaseless torture.

This is being done only so that you can get discounts on parts. People with busses need discounts on parts. As much as I love them, busses break a lot. At least mine does. ;)

Tim, my integrity isn't up for grabs. You have a personal, inexplicable vendetta against Ron Salmon that cannot be explored without the service of a capable psychologist. You don't want a discount, that's fine with me. But if you insinuate that there's any subterfuge going on, on my part or Gerry's, I will cheerfully staple you. Again. As often as I have to.