Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Feb 1997 00:53:06
From:         EXPRES@gnn.com (Ron Salmon)
Subject:      Re: **BIG NEWS!!** Cheap Parts \ my own VW business!

> What would make this a cut above most parts places and encourage me > to look towards the Bus Depot for parts would be not only good prices > but a bent towards only offering parts that are of reputable & proven > quality (i.e. Bosch, Lubro, ect.) or parts that solve some of the > common deficiencies with the standard as issued VW parts (i.e. > stainless steal exhaust, Hella Lighting systems, ect.). > I also encourage you to tap into the wealth of knowledge on this > list and offer packages that include all the common parts and > accessories needed to do the best repairs for a specific job (i.e. a > head gasket kit that would include all gaskets and J.B. Weld). An > advanced version of this service would be to copy best practices from > the archives and send it with the parts. I think most people, > especially those not on this list, would find value in this and thus > incentive to do more business with you if such services were offered. > > Regards, >

Vince,

Thanks for your input. If you take a look at the website (www.busdepot.com) you'll see that the emphesis is on good quality stuff at deep discounts rather than cheap parts cheap. For example, Bosch, KYB, Leistritz, FAG, etc. I think it's neccessary to to offer the cheaper stuff for those who simply can't afford the best, but only with the caviat that it's not as good. You get what you pay for, and a good discount on a quality product is still the best deal.

Custom products and packaging like you mention is a great idea, and something that I do want to do, but for logistical/financial reasons it won't happen immediately, at least not on a large scale. Hopefully by this time next year.

I like your idea of sending archives info with the parts. I hadn't thought of that, but it's really a good idea. I 'd like to try to do that once this initial flurry of response dies down.

Thanks again - Hope we can do business soon!

-Ron Salmon The Bus Depot http://www.busdepot.com