Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Feb 1997 07:51:25 -0800 (PST)
From:         majekal1@earthlink.net (Maggie Adams)
Subject:      Re: oil change help

Thanks for all your help, this is how it worked out:

The nut for the oil screen was fine and easy to remove. By the oil drain plug being stripped I mean the nut was almost rounded so when I tried to turn it the edges became more rounded. It was a 13mm but the socket I had couldn't get a grip on it. I went to my mechanic and borrowed a different socket and that got a firmer hold but I still couldn't budge it. I tried liquid wrench, but I didn't want to go as far as vice grips because I would have to put something back on and I didn't want to rip it to shreds. I didn't have a pipe to put over the ratchet handle for leverage so I ended up taking it to oil changers and had them deal with it.

Thanks to the earlier postings about these guys I hovered over them. I told them about the screen and had them take it out. I looked it over and it looked in really good shape so I will change that the next time around. In the meantime I will check the gasket for leakage. the only problem was he put in 4.2 quarts of oil instead of 3.7 so I had them take some out.

Thanks for the response!!

Maggie