Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 07 Feb 1997 10:36:20 +1100
From:         redwood@speedlink.com (redwood)
Subject:      Questions--Re: WTB 86+ Westie Full Camper (long)

Hi Volks-fans,

I've received a number of responses to my original post wrt my "dream-Westie," disclosing freely my "wanabus" status, for which I thank you. Being on this list for less than a week has been informative, to say the least. At the same time, it has raised quite a few questions, such as:

1. What are alloy wheels, and why do people go to such lengths to get them?

2. What is an ECU? I gather it has to do with fuel injection. Are they fragile?

And the serious one:

3. One of the attractions for me of a VW bus is the reputation for durability and economy. Has that been lost by the Vanagon generation? The reason i've set my sights on an '85 or newer is that I need power steering as well as AT due to physical disability, which is also the reason for my strictly limited budget.

a. am I on a fool's errand, hoping to find for $8-9k a full camper as late as '86 or so, in decent condition? I looked at an '89 the other day, advertised with a new reblt engine with a 3yr-36k warranty, at $12,995, thinking the warranty would be valuable, but it was a *dog*! Stank of smoke and mildew and looked severely abused, like someone had let loose a circular saw in there, and it just kept going, bouncing around off the cabinets, etc., hacking and gouging wherever it landed.

b. More seriously, reading of the quests some of you have had to undertake to get certain parts, and the frequency with which, it appears, engines need to be rebuilt before going even 100k -- is it a given, with a Vanagon, that maintenance expenses will be frequent and high?

My sense is that, by definition, this list is made up of devotees, many of whom may be perfectionists. I do not intend to offend anyone by these questions, but does the average Vanagon driver, or more particularly someone with more time than money [but *no* mechanical experience to speak of, except from the wrong side of the cash register :-( ], have to be on constant alert for failing heads and ECU's and CV's, etc.?

I'm *not* looking for a project car, tho i'm eager and willing to understand more about how my vehicle functions. I want a compact, reliable, easily handled, economical camper that will be my only vehicle; one I can use to meander along the coast looking for tidepools and visiting friends, sleeping overnite some of the time, and also serving as a "sag wagon" [as in marathons and bike races] when I need a place to rest and regenerate during the day. I've had 2 previous VW buses [not cmpers], and think a Westfalia full camper would be perfect [even more so, if it were 2' longer and had a toilet :-) ]. I thought my search would be simple, with all the older Westies that are around, but discovered immediately on pulling out from the curb in a '73 hippiemobile, complete with decals, that I could not handle the steering.

For those who've read all the way thru this, thank you. I suspect I have more in common with the California Camping Crazies, than with those discussing virtues of digifast vs digijet fuel injection. I'll appreciate any thoughts any of you care to offer.

Gail [who is truly seeking advice, and intending no offense] Sacramento, CA WanaWestie Past owner of: '56 bug; '76 bus; '73 bus, with a terrific sunroof