Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Mar 1997 18:35:49 -0500 (EST)
From:         RGOLEN@umassd.edu
Subject:      Re: Copyright free for all

Excuse me....but bob hoover posted a little ditty on the type2 list regarding people giving advise and not being "expert" enough to give the advise, and thereby causing problems to those who follow the advise...well this "advise" from all of the so-called "copyright experts" is bound to get some of you in trouble PERIOD.

I have to laugh at the non-lawyer observation that the United States Supreme Court in the Sony-betamax made it ok for people to make copies of copyrighted material. Sorry for my french here but that is pure BULLSHIT!

What the US Supreme Court said was that Sony could not be held liable for whatever use the purchasers of Sony VCR equipment put their machines to....and that "time-shifting" of programs by VCR users was ok, so long as the recorders of those "time-shifted" programs did not sell or profit from the materials.

As far as the libraries being free from copyright laws....MORE BULLSHIT!!! Libraries are not responsible for enforcing copyright laws, PERIOD. Yes you may copy certain small sections of a copyrighted item under a limited use doctrine...ie: for classroom purposes, research, etc.

Bottom line folks...if there is a valid copyright to an item, and you make an unauthorized copy, you are violating the owner's copyright plain and simple. It doesn't matter whether or not you sell the item for a profit...or you just copy it for your own purpose.

It sort of makes me chuckle when I read about someone's bad luck when their van is broken into and some "SOB" steals a stereo, smashes a window, steals tools, etc....and how the bastard should be punished....but then someone posts some rubbish on how copying copyrighted material is ok,...you know...VW doesn't need the money, etc...

So what's the difference between the SOB that breaks into your van and steals your stuff and the copyright violater? NOTHING, pure and simple.

Sorry for the rant, but if you do not have the expertise, please do not give advise.

Ric