Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Mar 1997 12:11:06 -0500 (EST)
From:         SyncroHead@aol.com
Subject:      Tire rating & selection (was: RESULTS - Tire Survey)

In a message dated 97-03-05 10:35:45 EST, kfairey@oit.umass.edu (KENYON FAIREY) writes:

<snip> > There were NO Sport/light truck tires listed at this size. There appeared to > be only: > > 205/75 SR 14 and > 215/70 HR 14 > > tires listed in this catagory.

You can also use the Light Truck tire size: 27x8.50LT - R14. I'm not certain at the moment where they throw the LT into that size string, but you get the idea. I, and many other Syncro owners, use this size on our Syncros.

> Another question - I know that 'SR' means 'sport radial'

Actually not. The letters that preceed the R are the speed rating of the tires. I'm not certain of the exact values, but they're something like this: S: 100 MPH H: 120 MPH V: 135 MPH and so on... On a Vanagon, you should never need to worry about the speed rating unless you're going down a big hill and are crazy enough to let the van go that fast!

> and that 'R' simply > means 'radial'. I also believe that the 'P' before the id means 'passenger'

Yes. P is for Passenger vehicles.

> I do not know the meanings of 'VR', 'HR', and 'TR'. I'd rather not guess. > None of the tires state that they are reinforced. And, are the 'Orig Eq' > tires actually tires that meet specs for being shipped on vehicles from > manufacturers > My local tire man has told me that "original factory tires ALWAYS wear > better and longer than ANY replacement tires." Is he correct? If so, shouldn't I > go for that choice?

I don't believe that to be true. When a manufacturer selects a tire the primary considerations are cost and then a combination of comfort (a softer tire body) and road feel/performance (a harder tire body with a softer tread compound). I think the length of time the tire will last (longer lasting tires have harder tread compounds) is way down on their priority list. Even if he were correct, the longevity of the tire is only one consideration. The tire's ability for traction is particularly important while braking and cornering. A tire with good traction performance could stop 20' shorter than a tire designed primarily for long life. That could make the difference between a 20MPH collision and a near miss! Other factors are the wet traction performance, comfort of the ride, and tire noise. Building a tire is quite a balancing act between many competing factors.

The primary considerations for a Vanagon tire are safety related: maximum pressure rating and the maximum load carrying rating.

1. Look in your door jam for the recommended pressures for tire size you're getting and make sure that the tire's maximum pressure rating exceeds this number.

2. Next, make certain that the maximum load that the tire can carry is above the load you expect to apply. Your Westy probably weighs about 4,000 lbs empty. Load it up with people & cargo and it's likely anound 5,500 lbs. That's roughly 1375 lbs per tire. To add some room for error and allow for uneven tire weighting, the minimum tire load rating that's safe on your van is about 1500lbs. More would be better.

Some tires that don't specifically say "reinforced" (like many LT tires) may still be able to handle these pressures and load ratings. The tire does not have to specifically say "reinforced" to meet these criterion. On the later model Vanagons, Michelin was able to make a "reinforced" version of their normal MXL tires to meet the requirements for heavier vehicles like the Vanagon. Some tires are constructed from scratch for these higher loads.

3. After you've found tires meeting those two safety requirements, you can begin to consider the subjective qualities of traction, ride, longevity, noise, and cost.

Good luck, Jim Davis 87 GL Syncro 88 GL Wolfsburg