Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Mar 1997 22:29:44 +0000
From:         vwbus@netbiz.net
Subject:      Vanagon 1600 cases?? WAS: Q: More on buying bus 82 1.6 vs 2

> Michael & Chris > PS: Its not a mistake or typo, the 1,600cc engines are available in Europe! >

So it is you lucky dog, I'm going to make a couple general statements, the 2000cc stock is a DOG in a Vanagon particularly in a Westy, for US use on Interstates grades, or around mountainous areas it is damn near slow as a 1500 split. So the 1600 would simply be terrible, BUT except for the fact that it is in a MAJORLY neat case featuring a built in spin on full flow oil filter, the Vanagon installation of the 1600 is basically your good ole type 1 engine subject to the incredible availability of high performance parts to build quality and reliable engines well over 2.0 liters. Much easier and cheaper to build the hi-po T1 compared to the T4 and parts prices will always be less, availability more. If I might ask you, do you have any idea if that 1600 is an aluminum case? we had recently been discussing the possibility as obviously it was an entirely new casting and it seems to make sense that VW after realizing the benefits of the alloy used in the T4 case, might have used it to cast Vanagon 1600 cases, if so those things would be the ultimate T1 case commanding incredible $$$, built in full flow filtration and perhaps an aluminum case would be a dream. It seems from the Haynes that they even use hydraulic lifters, FROM THE FACTORY, I ask in general why have these cases not made it into the US, seems like the factory built the ultimate T1 case, if someone could latch onto the tooling and start pumping them out, they could make a mint, I'd bet you could sell em for about $700 a pop, considering a replacement is going $350 and a Scat billet case is over $1000. Considering $350 + $250 + $100 for a new case, hydraulic lifter conversion, and full flow filtration system, hell you might even get $800+

John vwbus@netbiz.net