Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 06 Mar 1997 08:43:32 +0000
From:         Joseph Doniach <jdoniach@pacbell.net>
Subject:      82 v 85 Westy

I owned an 80 which I sold after one summer and replaced with an 86. The air cooled 70 hp boxer just doesn't cut it for any kind of sustained driving. I bought it with a blown engine and replaced it with a good quality rebuilt motor, and then put in a set of gauges: oil temp, cyl head temp and oil press. We drove from San Francisco to Seattle along the coast; even with cool ambient air temps at 55-60 mph the oil temp got up to 300 F and just stayed there no matter what. That's way too hot--oil breaks down rapidly at that temp. When we got back I put in an external oil cooler with a thermostatically controlled electric fan, all mounted above the transmission. It helped a little; the oil temp dropped to around 250 F. But 70 hp is just not enough for something the size of the Westy.

Last summer we put 5,000 miles on our 90 hp 86 Westy. It never got out of the mid range on the coolant temp, and cruised at 70-75 mph all day long even with the a/c on. It didn't burn a drop of oil and was just a real joy to drive, especially with the power steering.

For me there's no comparison. I'd never buy another air-cooled Westy.