Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 06 Mar 1997 16:21:02 -0500
From:         Gary Norris <rnorris@wam.umd.edu>
Subject:      Re: EV on TV!

Dave Thomas wrote: > >... The reporter was comparing her Rialta to some other RV's in the > RV park they were in. Not having seen the inside of a > Rialta, I was surprised it appeared as cramped as it did --

The father of my voice professor from college has a Rialta. I found it quite spacious and not lacking in capabilities. He said that it cruises at 70, gets 20 miles to the gallon and handles his family of 5 people with no problem. He bought it as a retirement travelling home and spends 6 months a year in the thing. The pull out shower/head room is a great use of space. The galley area has a microwave, 2-burner stove, and a double bowl sink. Two people can sleep in the back table/fold down bed. The optional front bucket or fold out bed seating is great for long trips (I imagine), probably better than the passengers bouncing on the back bench seat of a Westy. Air-conditioning, water-heater...all the comfort of home. Here is the problem....If you are over 5'10" you will not be happy in the Rialta. None of the beds are over 6' long. I (at 6'3") was uncomfortble just standing stooped shouldered in the thing, and there would be know way for me to get a good night of sleep in it. Thank God for the Westy conversion sleeping and headroom space.

I won't even talk about the $73,000 the guy paid for it. I'd rather buy 6 more Syncros...one for each day of the week.

-- ********************************************************************* _________________ | | Gary Norris: (|_________________|) '86 Volvo DL |\ \ | / /| '86 Cabriolet | \ \ | / / | '73 Thing | - \___________/ - | '87 Syncro Westy | 0 | | 0 | rnorris@wam.umd.edu |___|__|_____|__|___| "Never put off until tomorrow, what |__| |__| you can get someone else to do."