Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Mar 1997 20:04:25 -0800
From:         "Shawn Wright, IS Manager" <vwnut@smuslabs.smus.bc.ca>
Subject:      Help - Jetta slipping clutch!

I'm hoping there's some relationship to clutches in general, and maybe other Jetta owners have had this problem...

On my '85 TD Jetta with 371k: The last 3-4 weeks, my clutch has started slipping in 4th & 5th gears while climbing long steep hills, usually only after pushing hard to pass. This week the threshold of slipping has dropped below about 90km/h, making me wonder how long I can put this repair off... :(

I replaced the original clutch/press plate at 250k, although it still had lots of disk left, it was soaked in oil due to leaky crank seal. (It didn't slip then, just chattered). When I put in the TD engine at 280k, I forgot to check/replace the crank seal, which I suspect is now leaking, as all inline VWs seem to. Another possibility I've thought about is the flywheel has worn beyond its usable life and cannot create the pressure needed on the clutch disk.

I'm assuming it's the oil leak, but can flywheels wear out at 371k km? I might tackle it this w/e, just wondering what I might find in advance...

tia