Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Mar 1997 11:50:12 -0800
From:         busgirl@netcom.com (Martha)
Subject:      more on Pinnacles

More info (thanks to several on the list for sending in bits of info on this. I've compliled and quoted shamelessly without bothering to give any of you credit):

Before I forget, I'll be sending out a separate e-mail soon regarding food/potluck, etc. Also suggestions for things to bring/burn, etc. For now, start collecting firewood - lots. Bottle your homebrew, and start making lots of ice.

Our camping trip (sorry to keep repeating, but we keep getting more new people) is March 21-24 at Pinnacles, about 2 hours south of San Jose.

For those of you just tuning in, the night of SUNDAY, March 23, there is this partial eclipse of the moon covering 90% of the surface. 9 p.m., PDT. Not enough for you? There's more: on that same night, the Hale-Bopp comet will be approaching its closest position to Earth. If all predictions are correct, this is slated to be the most stunning celestial event of the century. The comet is supposed to be made even more brilliant as the night sky darkens along with the Moon. This all takes place Sunday nite/Monday morning, like maybe around 3-5 a.m., so you may want to plan to get sick for work now. For some of you, this means getting up early, for others, going to bed late. It goes without saying that you should bring binnoculars, or better, a telescope, whichJI believe at least one of our members plans to take along.

Obviously the above is why we've voted to go toJPinnacles, since we were determined to have a space on a high ridge away from electric light and air-pollution of cities. Geologically speaking, Pinnicles in northern CA started out as one volcano near LA, sitting on the San Andreas Fault line. What one sees near Soledad is the part of the volcano which drifted almost 400 miles along the fault millions of years ago. Amazing!

For more info on the eclipse, check the following URL: http://planets.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/TSE97Comet.html

The Hale-Bopp comet appears in the ENE + SSW about 20 degrees above the horizon. Best viewing time is supposed to be 4-5 a.m., but possibly will be viewable earlier, as I understand it.

There's 2 numbers for Pinnacles for your reference: 408.389.4462 and 408.389.4485. The campground is just outside the east side of the park and DOESJHAVE showers and toilets. If past parks are an indication, we may need to bring coins to operate them - be forewarned. They have room for 22 vehicles plus overflow.

Remember especially that we need your head count (if I haven't already heard from you), and that we all need to reimburse poor Ron, who has made a significant deposit of faith and $$s in our all showing up if we say we are going to!

Also REMEMBER: the reservations Ron has made for us are for Friday and Saturday evenings, not for Sunday (when the big gazing event takes place).