Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 07 Mar 1997 21:07:20 -0800
From:         Lawrence Johnson <ljohnson@halhinet.on.ca>
Subject:      Re: Accessory circuit on ignition switch dead

Frank Terhaar-Yonkers wrote: > > Got in the '86 this morning, start, everything fine until I notice that > headlight won't come, wipers don't work .. > > No 12v coming out of the ignition SW (black wire with yl strip). > > Anyone taken one of these apart? Can they be taken apart? > > tia - Frank > > \\\\////\\\\////\\\\\////\\\\\////\\\\////\\\\////\\\\////\\\\////\\\\////\\\\ > Frank Terhaar-Yonkers > Cisco Systems, Inc. > Engineering Services, W2 F3 5 > 7025 Kit Creek Road PO Box 14987 > Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709 > fty@cisco.com voice (919)472-2101 FAX (919)472-2940 > pager (800)796-7363 pin 1008366 -or- fty@airnote.net

Through a mishap which I don't even want to talk about, I succeeded in burning out the ignition switch on our Vanagon. This switch is a part common to several VWs. If you know what your doing, its less than 30 minute job so I got mine replaced in one and a half hours. First remove the plastic cowling from the steering wheel shaft then the horn pad from the steering wheel. Next remove the steering wheel. Next remove the connectors to the various items clustered around the top of the steering shaft (label them and note where they all belong) Using an allen (I forget the size) loosen the clamp holding the ignition switch to the steering shaft. Slide the ignition switch up and off the shaft. Replace the white plastic ignition switch attached below the key part. And to quote all good manuals: reassemble in reverse order.

By the way with the key in and turned and just the plastic cowling removed, it is possible to jumper the ignition and start the engine. This is how we drove to and from the VW dealers to buy the replacement switch. Check your Bentley for which contacts to jumper.

Larry TGIF '86 Syncro Westy