Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Mar 1997 14:21:14 -0600 (CST)
From:         Thoreau <spwhite@artsci.wustl.edu>
Subject:      Short circuit/fire is ecu dead?

well, i have searched the archives and havent come up with anyone else making as DUMB of a mistake as me...

i put in a battery to test my compression on my 80 v'gon and hopped in to turn it over. Nothing happened. I then said hmm to myself and walked back to the rear looking to see what the problem was. there was huge clouds of smoke coming out from under the airbox. I ran to get something insulated to unhook the battery with. Having succeeded i then looked closer to see what the problem was.

i had used a battery (sidepost with regular posts attached to the sidepost holes) and it sat there with + and - reversed. I had attatched the battery backwards!!

so, the wire between the alternator and the solenoid is without insulation. the insulation was the source of the billows of smoke!

with the battery hooked up properly and the bare wire shielded, the car will not turn over.

i am guessing that the starter solenoid and the alternator are in bad shape!

my big concern is, however, the ECU. In the bently much reference is made to never jumping or charging the car with the wires attatched. the ecu is very sensitive.

i am afraid with all of teh other problems to fix, this may be the end of my vanagon. (after runing for 20 minutes the plugs are pretty fouled, rusty and needs heads rebuilt)

*sigh*

may my stupidity be a lesson to all to be careful with electricity and that converted sidepost batteries will have the posts reversed.

grateful that the car didnt blow up taking me with it,

stephen white

93 Corrado SLC - 87 Scirocco 16v (hurt) - 84 GTi (dead) - 80 vanagon (?) *************************************************************************** as long as you are looking for happiness, you will never find it *************************************************************************** spwhite@artsci.wustl.edu http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~spwhite CCA St. Louis Regional representative