Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 09 Mar 1997 23:01:57 -0800
From:         "R. A. \"Pete\" SELLERS" <sellersp@midmonet.net>
Subject:      "Bottom-O-List" Candidate - Chicago

Hi Folks, Particularly those who may be in ChicagoLand.

Family circumstances caused me (allowed me the opportunity) to be in the Chicago community this past weekend.

While ther I had to make a trip or two for supplies in the area.

As is my habit, I spotted a VW Dealer and opted to stop and spend some time to "scope-out" the place.

W E L L - I have a new dealer to add to be bottom of my All-Time Favorite VW Dealer List.

HAGGERTY VW - GMC located near Cicero & (about) 95th Street

After wandering around the lot for a time, I went into the office area; I did not see a VW van anywhere. There were GMC vans parked literally up to the entranc door of the VW (clearly marked with PROM material) section.

I was greeted by a gentlman wearing a name-tag that identified him as a "VW Sales Manager".

I asked about the availability of a new VW van through is dealership.

His response, "Van, you mean a Volkswagen van? My Response, "Yes" His response, "I'm not certain they (VW) are making them any more. If they are made, they certainly are not imported into the United States." My Response, "They ARE being manufactured and ARE being sold by delaers in the United States." His response, "Well, I don't thing you are going to find one in the Chicago area. Certainly not at this dealership. Besides, we can give you a much better deal on a GMC van. You ARE looking for a van to purchase, aren't you." My response, "I'm looking for a VW van." His response, "If you mean a camper, then maybe you should check out one of the RV dealers in town."

As I started listing facts and details, I know abolut the van, one could easily see the embarrased look on the salesman's face.

My response, At any rate, what's the procedure to get some service-work done here on a VW van?" His response, "Well we don't do much of that. In fact we have a VW mechanic who is here one day a month. If you leave your van a couple days before the mechanic arrives we'll try to schedule the work." My response, <EXIT, STAGE LEFT, WITH VISIBLE FRUSTRATION> ... never to return to this dealer.

I don't think I'd trust this dealership for ANYTHING related to a VW!!!

Submitted FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH!!!!

Regards --

Pete SELLERS sellersp@midmonet.net Voice: (573) 774-1895 / FAX: 336-5128 '74 THING (Pete's "PLAY" THING) - '93 Eurovan, MV, Weekender (The Conestoga)