Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Mar 1997 13:45:06 -0800
From:         bayer@sybase.com (David Bayer)
Subject:      Re: '87 GL High Idle

>| 1. Dead cold morning start: starts and idles fine until as long as you >| don't touch accelerator pedal. >| >| 2. As soon as you start driving the rpms will only drop to 2,000 between >| shifts. If you are driving above 2,000 rpms and take you foot of the >| accelerator it will only also only drop to 2,000. [snip] >| 5. And finally, just to throw a wrench into this. Sometimes, maybe 10% >| of the time, Lewis will idle but never do the rpms drop below 2,000 >| during shifting.

Verify that your accelerator cable is returning all the way and that the plastic tube it runs through is correctly seated on all the its junctions. I had this problem (or what seemed like the one you describe) and I pulled the tube (which had worked itself off of the juction at rear of the driveshaft protector bars), cleaned off some grit from the end (the accelerator cable itself was encased in it own plastic sheath so I didn't do much more that clean old grease off and work a little into the end of the cable), relubed it and put it all back together... No more high idle problem...

dave