Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Mar 1997 08:56:05 -0500
From:         gthaxter@msdcorp.com (Gary E Thaxter)
Subject:      Re: Clutch chatter

>I had my clutch and all it's components replaced a few months ago but now it's >chattering when I accelerate. What can be causing this? > >Thanks, >Bryan

Clutch and ALL its components? I had my clutch done and did not replace the seal in the transmission nor did I change the trans. input shaft pilot bearing (in the centre of the flywheel). There was no leak and why change the bearing I thought. Then not long after, the clutch started to judder and chatter and eventually smell burnt. I put off checking it until I had to. All that was left of the clutch by that time was a handful of dust and some small pieces of metal in the bottom of the bell housing. . . the seal went and my transmission lost most of its oil and just about seized up (almost home on a trip) couldn't get it out of 3rd, but it did get me home. The bearing chewed up the end of my input shaft pretty bad as well.

It was the VW dealer that did the labour, but I supplied the parts so there was no warranty :(

Check your seal for leaks and your input shaft for scoring or wear. I didn't realize how much mine had worn down until I bought the new one and compared them. The seal is about $12 and the new shaft is about $90 (Canadian dealer prices). Not sure how much the bearing is but it's cheap.

This may not be your problem but it sure was mine. Since the van's been off the road, I've been sentenced to driving a Renault . . . :(

Hope it helps Gary Thaxter 74 transporter (panel) 85 Kombi looking at an 86 syncro