Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         13 Mar 97 12:19:55 PST
From:         CARVER_JEFFREY@aphub.aerojetpd.com (Jeff Carver)
Subject:      Re: doors/slidingdoor

Wellllll ! I supposed I have to get into this fray.

Been thinking about camper conversions and stuff, seeing as I have a spare '80 Westi working hard as the kids playhouse. I had a '64 Deluxe that I added some stuff to to become my camper, long since gone unfortunately.

One of the things that a real door can do that a slider can't, is to HOLD something. I had a shelves on my doors that could be fixed in the horizontal position. While closed the rear door could be used as a small table for a book, game, eating etc. While open it supported a portable stove. The front served as a cutting table, snack tray, etc.

While not being used, the shelves folded down, out of the way, against the door.

I've seen a cabinet attached to a door. When open the cabinet is outside, thereby freeing up space inside.

I'd be really nifty to graft the doors onto a working slider, Wha hoo, the best of all worlds! Sometimes it is a GOOD thing I don't have a welding rig! Any donors out there?

> just curious....Why do you want to get rid of your slider?? > there's no space advantage to a "swing out" door/s.

- Jeff '80 Westi daily driver and '80 Westi playhouse