Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 15 Mar 1997 13:59:13 +0000
From:         Alo Robinson <alo@arbinson.demon.co.uk>
Subject:      On the horns of a dilemma

Here is the problem.....

I have the opportunity of buying a VW camper van (1800cc -1973 vintage- twin carb) Not too sure of its correct name type, but if anybody has a copy of "Volkswagen Bus-Camper-Van 1968-1979" compiled by R.M. Clarke, Brooklands Books, it looks very like the one on page 33.

Considering its age and the salted roads and temperate climate here in the UK then it's not in too bad a shape. It looks fairly standared, not too much bodging, and certainly in great shape on the inside.

B U T (and it could be a big BUT or little but) it comes with an automatic gearbox ('transmission' for those that are separated by our common language), and it is this that has given me the dilemma.

If the gearbox was manual I would purchase the van, in the knowledge that I could easily pick up a second hand gearbox if it gave problems. Now I know the automatic has a bigger market in the USA

Questions ========= The automatic unit is a rare beast on this side of the world, I have managed to track down a second hand unit in a scrapyard costing UK200 pounds (US $300 ? ?) How does this price compare in the USA

Does the purchase of a 24 year old transmission unit seems like a wise thing to do?? Has the automatic transmission on the VW a good reputation?

I take it that the engine on the automatic gearbox is the same as on a manual?? (If I need to change the engine will I encounter any problems, or is it just a straight swap?)

If I choose to replace the automatic unit with a manual one, is this a formidable job (considering linkage, cables, foot pedal etc etc)?

I am sure I have a million other questions (well a few anyway) before I commit myself to buying.... I am moving closer to the precipice as the weather begins to pick up and the daffodils begin to appear.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom or tales of woe. regards -- Alo Robinson