Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Mar 97 23:42:35 UT
From:         "Dennis Haynes" <dhaynes57@msn.com>
Subject:      RE: Alloy Wheels - again!

When using Passenger car tires on a light truck (the P in the size designation), the tires must be de rated 10%. Thus on a Syncro camper, you need a 215-70/14. This size is rated at 1554Lbs. Minus 10% leaves an actual rating of 1398. This will carry 2797 lbs. per axle. This is still slightly undersize for the rear. A tire with an "A" temperature rating will improve life expectancy.

Dennis

-----Original Message----- >From: vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu On Behalf Of KENYON FAIREY Sent: Saturday, March 15, 1997 6:04 PM To: Multiple recipients of list Subject: Re: Alloy Wheels - again!

Kyle- Thanks for the reply! I feel like I have gotten such mixed information that I am going in circles! From the weight specs in the door jam the tires and wheels I am thinking of seem OK, but so many people seem to stick to the heavier ratings.

Talked with the dealer and from the door sticker he gave me a report of: 2646 front and 2866 rear distribution of weight, gross weight of 5512 lbs.

Thats 1323 lbs/wheel front and 1433 lbs/wheel rear - that's 5512 lbs. The gross weight of the vehicle "fully loaded" is supposed to be 5160 lbs.

The Michelin MXV4 tires are rated H 95 - or 1521 lbs/wheel @ 130 miles/hr the Michelin MXV4 Energys are rated H 94 - or 1477 lbs/wheel @ 130 mi/hr

Either of these should be fine as I figure. I do believe that the older '91 ratings were C weight class/ 97R tires. One list member replied with info that supported this. But tires have changed greatly over the past 6 years! My local tire man has stated that the older "original eq" tires were probably reinforced as they were less strong material to begin with.

This same list member also stated that he was running Michelin 185 R14 94R tires. He did not indicate any problem running the 94R over the 97R.

Do you have anything to add to these details?

Thankx again- Kenyon -- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Kenyon Fairey, Re.D. Adjunct Assistant Professor Head, Help Desk Services & Human Dimensions of Resource Management Software Support Department of Forestry & Office of Information Technologies Wildlife Management - - - - - - - - - - - - - A 117, Lederle Graduate Research Center Internet -- KFairey@OIT.UMass.EDU University of Massachusetts Phone -- (413)-545-4366 Amherst, MA 01003 FAX -- (413)-545-3203