Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         19 Mar 1997 15:51:50 -0800
From:         "Harvey Chao" <Harvey_Chao@smtp.svl.trw.com>
Subject:      Out spending Money

Well, took some time off from work, to have a mental holiday as I prepare to start a new job at the end of the month. Been doing all kinds of "wonderful" things, like income taxes and "honey do" list items. Also, been throwing $$ at the vanagon.

Thanks to: Jon Reed, Tim Smith, Chris Pittack, Shawn & Janis Wright, Roy Mathers, Richard Schmittdiel, and Kenyon Fairey ( and any one else who may have replied via digest that I have not yet read) for their inputs. This morning I got the Uniroyal Larado AWPs from price/costco, considerably cheaper than the Michelins, Bridgestones, or other sources of Uniroyals. My initial reaction is positive, and the steering effort has gone WAY down. The price out the door at Costco was $261.70, for a set of 4 tires, including balancing, valve stems, tax, w/free rotations, flat repairs, road hazard warranty, etc. Not too bad ("considering").

Also had the front windshield replaced this afternoon. The wife was driving the van several months ago and stopped a rock with the windshield. It immediatly "starred" and cracked, and the crack has been growing slowly ever since. Didn't try to have the "star" repaired, because it cracked immediatly. Went through my insurance company, USAA and they steered me to a local shop that is a chain with whom they do business. For the cost of my $100 deductable, the windshield AND the rubber gasket that mounts it were replaced. While it was out, I looked at the metal frame, and was pleased to see nothing more than a small amount of very fine, dry road dirt in the area covered by the gasket. No evidence of rust or bubbling paint.

So, again, thanks to all who provided some input on the tires, it helped make the decision on more than solely the basis of cost, and provided some confidence in the choice.

Harvey '83 bunker burner w/new shoes and "glasses"