Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Mar 1997 21:44:35 -0500
From:         James Digennaro <limbo@bcn.net>
Subject:      RE: Vanagon needs new tires.

Harvey, I noticed you need new tires and were looking a Uniroyal Larado. I wouldn't put Larados on my bike. I work for GM and the S-trucks Blazers/Jimmys came stock, a few years ago, with those on it and within a year the tread would show signs of weather cracking. To the point where they started to leak. I've changed my share of Larado's. Stay away! My suggestion, and this will start a war I'm sure, is to try the Remmington XT 120, Dunlap GT radial Quailfiers or, the tire I'm using now, an off brand made by kelley, the Super Star Radial GT. I've used all of them on my buses with great success. I've gotten 50 to 60K miles out of them and the handling is there. I've found them very stable in cross winds on the highway. And the price is good, about 70 bucks each. I'm using size 205-70r 14. The size cuts the RPMs down slightly and I think the width helps with stablity. I expressed my concern about getting a strong reinfored tire and my tire my told me that these tires are a performance tires and will handle the load. So far he hadn't been wrong. The tread wear rating is 440, with a traction rating 'A' and a temp rating of 'B'. VW calls for a 185 75r 14 LT tire for the Vanagon. 'LT' meaning Light Truck. Alot of Volks like the Michellins and they are a good tire, but 100 bucks plus per tire is just abit out of my price range. I got the Super stars on sale at 55 bucks each. I really felt a diffence right away. They tires I were using were some junkers that were on the bus when I got it and boy you could feel the cross winds and they rode harder. Even now, I'm using some low budget snow tire and I can feel the 'spongyness' in the rear. I'm surprised my kids haven't lost they lunch back there. Good luck on your purchase. Hope my 2 cents helps. Take care. -- -Jim Digennaro ----------------------------------------------------------------------- LiMBO, The Late Model Bus Organization, international zzzzzzzzzzzzz_ |E[__][__]|[_]\\ '82 Westfaila 'GTi' | _ LiMBO| _ || 'The VW DJ' =-( )------( )-== James Digennaro, LiMBO Treasurer, Merchandise sales and Webmaster. 20 First St E-mail: limbo@bcn.net Adams, MA 01220 URL: http://www.bcn.net/~limbo/ LiMBO LINE: (413) 743-1814 'Transporters By The Tunnel' A fun camping event held July -----------------------------------------------------------------------