Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Mar 1997 22:39:11 -0500
From:         Leavitt <mleavitt@tiac.net>
Subject:      Re: Heat exchanger flapper

Frayed1003@aol.com wrote: > > One more unexpected problem, I went out today to drain the excess oil from my > 81 Westy. I was trying to track down all of the oil leaks, when I suddenly > notice why my heat hadn't felt quite as warm as it had before. The left > flapper(if you are looking at the engine from the back of the van) that > connects the flexible duct to the heat exchanger was gone, missing, completly > dis-de*#@! appeared. It seems strange that it would have fallen off, but, I > also find it hard to believe that it was stolen, however, I did leave it up > on ramps overnight. But anyway, does anyone have this have one of these I > could buy used. If not, do any of you know where I could get a good price on > one, or maybe one of you know of some shmuck who leaves his van up on ramps > overnight, in which case I could just help myself. Just kidding about the > last part. Thanks in advance for any responses. Oh ye if anyone has that > part #handy I would appreciate it if you could send it my way. Thanks again

Are you sure that your girlfriend did't steal it for her father or her brother while you were sleeping? Wait, I forgot, they've got a diesel and a wasserboxer (different systems)... I guess that puts them in the clear, but what about that neighbor of theirs with the '82. Hmmm??? Don't be suprised, it's terrible what depths an air-cooled VW driver will sink to after spending just ONE winter without heat. I'm speaking from experience, though I've never stolen any parts...no one was careless enough to leave their car up on ramps! hehehe j/k ;p

Seriously, that is kind of odd. I could picture it becoming loose by itself, but there is still that cable that would make it hang there banging around and alerting you to something amiss.

I'll keep my eye out for that part, but I haven't seen many V-gon A/Cs around here.

Noel VOLKSWAGEN _--````--_ / _--````--_ \ / / \ \ / / \ \ '81 Vanagon Westy | | \ \ \/ / / | | '68 Sunbug Autostick | |\ \ )--( / /| | (named Vana) | | \ \/ /\ \/ / | | (named Rachel) \ \_\ / \ /_/ / \ _``----``_ / ``----`` 1937--1997