Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Mar 1997 00:16:31 -0800 (PST)
From:         Perry Patterson <no1ukn0@netcom.com>
Subject:      AC Idle Stabilizer valve?

Hey,

Little background needed here. I have an '87 Vanagon that's supposed to have the 2.1 w/Digifant. However, the PO had a crapped out 1.9 w/Digijet installed when the original motor died, burned etc.

Since this was done, the setup in the engine compartment is a bit cobbled up. With the help of Fast German Auto I now have a fully rebuilt 1.9, clutch, etc. and she's running beautifully. However, when the engine is idling and the AC is turned on she wants to die. Now the reason for this is that the PO removed all the Digifant idle compensator circuits when he pulled the 2.1. However, it looks as if the vacuum hose setup is from what the wonderfully thick Bentley Vanagon manual says is an "Early Digijet" set-up meaning there's no IDLE SPEED BOOST VALVE for the AC. Well, I'm going to call VW on Mon. and see how much the valve is. If it's reasonable enough, I'll be buying from them, if not I'll be scouring junkyards.

NOW, MY QUESTION IS THIS: WHERE does this elusive IDLE SPEED BOOST VALVE live on the Vanagon. If any of you listees out there could take a look at your AC equipped'83, '84, '85 DIGIJET (not Digifant) Vanagon and tell me where it should be I would be much obliged. If you have the Bentley manual look on pg. 24.24b to find out how it hooks up. However, if you do not have the manual then track down one of the wires that comes out of the AC compressor (1.0 Black (on my Digijet motor with a Digifant AC compressor(don't ask) it is 0.5 Red/Black)) and leads to a small boxish object with 1 or 2 vacuum hoses coming out of it. The 2 vacuum lines should hook up to either side of the Auxiliary air regulator. Where is this thing on your vehicle.

What the IDLE SPEED BOOST VALVE seems to do is when the AC is turned on it opens the valve and in conjunction with the auxiliary air regulator lets more air in bypassing the throttle valve altogether thus causing the fuel injection to compensate for the added load of the AC compressor preventing your motor dying on you at idle with the AC on.

I know some of you hardcore types will tell me to unhook that wimpy AC. Well, I drove cross-country (coast to coast) in a rusted out '78 Westie with no AC with daytime temps in Arizona reaching a record 125 F and let me tell you, it was an adventure. So I've paid my dues and the next time I have to do it, I'll do so with the AC blazing away and a stupid grin on my ugly face ;).

Thanks to everyone who has answered my previous postings. And beware all those out there looking to buy that 2.1. From what I understand, so few were brought over that if the motor has been rebuilt, chances are it was replaced with a 1.9. Buyer beware!!

Thanx,

Perry

'87 Vanagon (w/1.9 Digijet) '81 BMW R80 G/S w/ '90 Paris/Dakar pkg. '83 Moto Guzzi LeMans III '77(?) Laverda 1200 Triple (soon to have SFC livery)

no1ukn0@netcom.com