Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Mar 1997 22:49:25 -0700
From:         bill <bill@freeholder.com>
Subject:      power loss '81

Well heading out to our first camping trial of our new '81 Westie today, we experienced an engine problem that forced us to return home. I should be camping and fishing now, but I am sitting in front of the computer instead...

Anyway, the van has NO power at low RPM, and not too much at higher RPM.

Last week, it ran fine. Started easily, idled well (except when cold, when the idle was too low) and ran fine. It isn't a dragster, but it did fine, accelerating to 65 on the expressway.

Today it wouldn't get out of it's own way. When we drove off, it had trouble accelerating past about 40 MPH. I had to shift into 2d on medium hills (auto), and top speed was about 45 on the level.

The problem worsened. Before long, I had to shift into 1st on hills, and had to drive most of the way home in 2d.

The van still idles and starts OK. It will rev fine in neutral, but will almost not move the van from a standing start. When you put it in gear, RPM drops to nothing (doesn't kill), and the van won't move. To get home, every time I had to stop (twice -- luckily we live in a rural area) I had to rev it a little and then put it in gear. Still it didn't really want to go, but at maybe 5 MPH, it would start running better, although still without much power.

All the vacuum lines are still attached. We removed the air cleaner temporarily -- no change. It was getting gas -- in fact was only getting 10 MPG. Cap, rotor, wires and plugs are new a month ago.

Where do I look next? Any ideas would be gratefully accepted. Please remember I am a beginner with air cooled engines.

Thanks,

Bill ---------------------------------------------------------- Remember, it ain't what you don't know that hurts you, it's what you do know that's wrong.