Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Mar 1997 13:16:42 +0000
From:         "Seastoner" <rfergus@richmond.infi.net>
Subject:      starter problems

Hi, My 85 Westie would not start after a three-four hour drive on the interstate...this had happened before around town but was cured with a new battery. After about fifteen minutes it started...then it happened again about an hour later and would not start at all until I jumped it forty five minutes later....the additional voltage must have helped but it wasn't the battery...there was nothing when I tried to crank it except the instrument lights did go on...My local shop ran it all day with no luck repeating the symptomes...even drove it for a couple of hours...must have been the highway miles/speed...They checked the grounding harness and the wiring...and the starter/solenoid {apparently the solenoid would cost more to replace than the entire starter/solenoid combination}...no luck...the starter appears to register the same on the gauges whether it's hooked up from the van or direct...So...the only option is to replace the 160$ starter/solenoid and see if that takes care of it on my next long trip...the theory is that the wiring in the starter must be getting heated up during long use at 70-75 mph. Any other suggestions? Thanks for any advice...I must do something...its no fun being stranded... Rick