Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 04 Mar 1997 12:57:36 -0500 (EST)
From:         KENYON FAIREY <kfairey@oit.umass.edu>
Subject:      Re: Milwaukee Auto Show--VWoA has no plans for Eurovan

I am really sad to hear this! If a Westfalia Eurovan camper had been available to me, I probably would have bought one this time round (after loosing my mint '91 Westy)!

I test drove both a '95 Eurovan Winni and a '97 Eurovan Winni and found plusses and negs on both. But the MAJOR GRIPE I had was with the Winni conversion. After owning a Westfalia it felt CHEAP and lacked the well thoughout design and tightness of the Westfalia. I simply could not talk myself into it! The dealer even offered me a real steal on the '95 -- it had 5kmiles, the PO had added all of the screens (rear and vent screens now 'optional' equipment from Winnebago - not standard) even a sliding door screen, and other little add ons. For all of this he said $25k if I made a deposit that day. But I just didn't like it enough.

Thankfully I held out and now am purchasing a '91 with 28k original 1 owner miles (although it is not as nice as the one I lost!) By the time I get it home from MN and add Alloys, security sys, awning, etc I will have $23k invested in it! But I will be happier!

DOESN'T VW UNDERSTAND THE MEANING OF FARFEGNUGEN (sp?) or FUNKENGRUVEN ANYMORE?

Yes, there are lots of conversion vans - I looked at several models at the North East camping show 2 weeks ago. They START at $45k if you pay cash (list starts about $55k!). And the only thing they really have over the Westy is a bathroom (do I care about that? bought a great portapotti for $45. last year and a rubbermaid basin for $4.50 - this took care of us for a 7 week jaunt supplimented by facilities at the campgrounds.) And my Westy is open and airy and makes me feel like I am CAMPING (previous backpacker here) IN the great outdoors - not cooped up in a van!

You can take a Westy ANYWHERE easier that a conversion van (esp the Syncro). You can do all sorts of fun upgrades yourself - I have seen people who devised an indoor shower even!

SO . . . what can WE do to let VW know that many of us are - or will be VERY INTERESTED in the Westfalia version of the Eurovan? Can't they at least allow REAL SERIOUS VW owners to purchase one in Germany for use there and shipment back to the US? If they would AT LEAST reinstate the "tourist program" with the necessary details for import by the individual to the US, they might see that there are SOME REALLY SERIOUS VW types willing to pay a fair price for a quality vehicle.

Kenyon > > Just a quick report on VW from the Milwaukee Auto show which just ended on > Sunday. I asked Hans the VW rep at the auto show when we could expect to > see the 97 Eurovans and he said that VWoA has no plans to bring the Eurovan > to the US. He said VWoA looked into it but the pricing just didn't > fit--like 30 to 35k for the CL to MV models. He said they are able to sell > the 97 Eurobago for less than one of the Eurovan models. He said at that > price and because of all the minivan competition they just didnt think they > would sell. I defintely felt like this was a subject he didnt want to talk > about. He did say that he got many inquiries from people at the show as to > Eurovan availablity. > > No plans for Eurovans in the US--say it isn't so! :( > > Tim > 90 Westy Multivan > > > > >

-- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Kenyon Fairey, Re.D. Adjunct Assistant Professor Head, Help Desk Services & Human Dimensions of Resource Management Software Support Department of Forestry & Office of Information Technologies Wildlife Management - - - - - - - - - - - - - A 117, Lederle Graduate Research Center Internet -- KFairey@OIT.UMass.EDU University of Massachusetts Phone -- (413)-545-4366 Amherst, MA 01003 FAX -- (413)-545-3203