Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Mar 1997 09:24:26 -0400 (AST)
From:         smitht@unb.ca (Tim Smith)
Subject:      Re: 16" Wheels <syncro>

>A few syncros with 16" wheels made it to Australia.I have seen a syncro >camper and a syncro double cab that used to compete in rallies and was

these were done by Trekka, appeared first in Sydney to Darwin Race, 1990. Both won 1st in class, the crewcab was in 4x4 pickups under 2500cc, so it had some competition. Both survived with zero breakdowns, beyond a flat tire and thrown PS pump belt. They both had modified FI to allow redline at 6200RPM, dual shocks at rear, heavier ones at front, heavier springs, and some bash plates. Article appeared in 'Overlander' magazine, thanks Derek D.

>factory prepared-ie full skid plate protection and no wax protection so >you could weld repairs when necessary.Used to be seen in pictures on the >back of VW mags here getting air off a jump on a beach.I believe it >eventually bent a bit in the middle.

that jump photo was the last 'event' of the race, the camper declined the offer. I think the prize for the best jump was $500. Bet they can't fix it now for $500!

>Only possible drawback with 16" wheels is,according to my owner's manual >you can't fit snow chains as there isn't enough clearance.

eeeek! I need chains, on all 4 wheels when in deep snow. I noticed the clearance was very close with 195/75/14 tires on. Doubtful 205/70/14 would fit chains. What size (205/R/16???) does your owners manual say the tires are on the 16"? I am upgrading to Audi 15" rims and am looking for the tallest tire I can fit. The philosophy here/USA is to put the biggest/widest tires you can get on a 4x4 and float over the crap. You get zero traction in slippery conditions though. The UK idea is to get tall skinny tires and cut through to solid ground, traction in all conditions. The terrain I drive on favours the latter, so I may get away with tall/skinny+chains. No 16" models ever landed here, very few in Europe/France either. Let me know if you will. Thanks. Tim

'87 Syncro Westy '85 CrewCab