Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Mar 1997 23:23:55 -0500
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@cs.rochester.edu>
Subject:      Re: Trip to South America

I'm cc:ing the reply to the vanagon list. I'm sure people on the list have lots of advice on what VW bus to take to south america. There was also a recent thread on going to tierra del fuego in year 2000, including a discussion of the difficulties of passing the darien gap with a vehicle.

Regarding diesel Westies:

From: J Anderson <spruce@m2.sprynet.com>

If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay and in what condition, rust, miles, what worked, what didn't? How is the hill power? There is someone in Attleboro who has one, with 35k on a new engine, but he wants $6500 for an 82, which seems like alot. The gaseater heater leaks, there are a few tears in the top, but supposedly no rust, original paint.

$6500 sounds expensive. "blue book" price in my '93 edition is $4500. I bought mine for $3000 four years ago, condition as mint as you can possibly demand from an '82, but it had a few mechanical and electrical problems which would have been expensive to have a mechanic fix, but I could fix relatively easily myself (fried blower, and messed up lights and similar small things). Thus the price lower than "book value".

Did they come as a 5 speed?

Yes, but this is probably hard to find in NA. Common in Europe.

How is the hill power?

Not impressive. More like a truck or bus than a car. After having learned a little "diesel driving technique" (basically simple: conserve momentum, accelerate well before the hills, right gear...) keeping 50-60 is no problem on most "expressway grades" Country roads in hilly terrain often means 3rd gear and 35-45 during long upphills.

Did they have a synchro version using a diesel?

Yes, but not in NA. They are common in Europe.

I was concerned about parts for the Vanagon, but if we go VW, I am thinking that the Vanagon is the right choice, because the car feels safer, is more roomy, and does much better in crosswinds. The range is better for the diesel and if I add an extra tank which may be possible I would have a 800 mile range, which would allow us to really get off the beaten path without carrying jerry cans.

Personally I would consider an early 70's bus for a south america adventure. The better handling in the vanagon is not so important if I'm going to drive slow anyway. The bus has a slight edge off road, and the 1600 upright must be the most widespread engine in the world. With a bus I would also be more inconspicous (at least in mexico and brazil), while the square vanagon immediately advertizes "gringo".

Parts could be a problem though, so I need to keep it simple, like no power steering, no AC. The windshield is the only part I am really worried about. Diesels can be fixed almost anywhere.

Mechanics in the outback are usually very creative when it comes to fixing things when spares are unavailible. Windshield breaks in the middle of argentina -- get closest fit possible from junk car and seal the gaps with whatever material is availible. Problem is of course that with precision machined parts (ie in engine and injection pump) the "creative approach" is not likely to work.

One last question, what color is the interior? Did the 82-83 come in anything but the woodgrain. I am partial to the white formica in the later models, but this is only a minor point.

Thankfully I have the white interior in my '82. I think I have seen both the simulated wood and the white in early eighties. Pictures are avilible under the "luxurious living.." link on: http://www.cs.rochester.edu:80/u/jag/vw/ There are also some testimonies from other diesel fanatics on the "testimonies.." link.

/Martin