Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 Mar 97 21:11:31 CST
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon handling (long)

On Sat, 29 Mar 1997 19:42:46 -0600 Shawn & Janis Wright said: >Two unrelated incidents over the last 3 days indicate something about >the inherent safety of the Vanagon:

one of the reasons that i think *I* have been lucky in the buses over the last 27 years, is that the LACK of a front end tends to make you a bit more attentive. imho. at least *I* think so. so YOU have to pay more attention to what you and everyone else is doing.

this is what i think turns many people away from the vw buses ... they think that they are safer in a bigger front-engined american or japanese minivan ... cause they have "protection". what it means to them is that they no longer have to be as careful or pay as much attention.

example (my pet peeve!): i've seen any number of people in "minivans" riding around, yakking inattentively in traffic on their cell phones. i have YET to a single bus or Vanagon or Eurovan driver talking on a cell phone in traffic. :) just another indication that WE are superior in intellect AND application of that intellect. ;)

of course, the Microbus folks might claim to be even more intellectual ... they don't even HAVE cell phones in their Splitties!! :)

anyway, my point being that most accidents are the result of driver INattention. period. one or more of the driver's involved wasn't paying attention. this includes "driving too fast for the conditions" and "following too close". it all comes down to "driver error" ... and in my opinion, the VW buses don't let you get this complacent. i wonder about Lexus drivers ... if you've never sat in one, go to a dealer (it helps to dress well first) and sit in one. test drive it if you can. it is DANGEROUSLY quiet!!! fer real. and it makes me wonder if those people actually realize that they are in control of and responsible for a two-ton machine!!! i think not.

so go out and hug your bus tomorrow. tell it you're sorry for all those names you've called it as you tried to acclerate up those on-ramps. :) it's been trying to keep you safe. ;)

joel