Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Mar 1997 18:16:01 +0000
From:         vwbus@netbiz.net
Subject:      NEW T4 Heads (was: where to buy valve tools)

> for the typeIV 2 litre engine, new heads from JC whitney are $350.00 each, > $700.00 total. Mark Stephens heads are $500.00 each, $1k total, core > required. (secondhand information from a friend with an 80 westy.) this > made the idea of purchasing an extra set of heads somewhat costly.

And to boot, the "new" AMC Spanish heads (AMC is cast on bottom of rocker box) are a bad idea in stock form. This is the story as Stephens tells it, apparently AMC bought the factory tooling to cast these heads, fairly obvious as I have both sitting here and they are exact copies save for the removal of the VW part numbers from the inside of the rocker box. Well as the VW heads have tendancy to crack, particularly at spark plug to valve seat area, AMC thought they would do better and used a different and more elastic aluminum alloy. Thing is the new alloy also has a higher coefficient of thermal expansion and they cut the seats with the same VW tooling and used the same VW seats. The .005" or so (installed at temperature) interference fit sufficient for the VW heads is not enough for the AMC heads which pound their seats out in record time (like less than 5k miles for the PO of my '81 though admittedly he was missing a good bit of tin). The thing is this, they NEVER crack, so are the ideal head for a Stephens rebuild (hi-po even better) where they install the seats at triple the interference of the stock AMC installation, makes the perfect head. I also note AMC heads have a built in .020" additional deck height for lower compression. Anyway the point is Stephens has experienced poor luck (less than 50k) out of stock AMC heads but their quality rebuild on your stock heads are only $175, for a 5yr/100000 mile warranty (assuming of course they stay in business) make good $ense to me. Also a good idea to seek out a core set of the AMC heads if you ever run across them. They will rebuild them with 44 x 36 valves to whatever combustion chamber volume you want for something under $350 each if you want to try their "zero deck (.035" deck height)" solution for more performance.

John vwbus@netbiz.net