Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 05 Mar 1997 10:22:41 -0500 (EST)
From:         KENYON FAIREY <kfairey@oit.umass.edu>
Subject:      Re: RESULTS - Tire Survey

Since I am buying a "new" '91 Westy and upgrading to the factory Alloys, I am particularly interested in this tire survey info. I would like the specific subset of data on the 205/70 R14 tires as this is the size specified in the VW brochure as being appropriate for the factory Alloys.

[Actually the brochure specifies 'P205/70 R14 tires.]

In my own searching for tires of this particular size, I went to the TireRack online and found 'slim pickins'. Here is what I found - I am interested in finding out how this meshes with the survey data and anyone's personal experience.

Tire Rack options:

Brigestone: Potenza RE900 205/70 TR 14 $59 Potenza RE92 205/70 HR 14 $59 Turnanza QL20 T rated 205/70 TR 14 call 'Orig Eq' S402 205/70 R 14 $47

Dunlop: Sp40 A/S P205/70 SR 14 $50 *****

Pirelli: P400 Touring 205/70 TR 14 $59 P4000 Super Tour 205/70 HR 14 call P700Z 205/70 TR 14 call

Yokohama: A378 205/70 HR 14 $48 'Orig Eq" tires: A321 205/70 VR 14 $85 Y372 205/70 SR 14 $48 Y382 P205/70 R 14 $57 *****

***** Actual 'match' to the VW specs. Only 2 matches.

There were NO Sport/light truck tires listed at this size. There appeared to be only:

205/75 SR 14 and 215/70 HR 14

tires listed in this catagory.

Another question - I know that 'SR' means 'sport radial' and that 'R' simply means 'radial'. I also believe that the 'P' before the id means 'passenger' I do not know the meanings of 'VR', 'HR', and 'TR'. I'd rather not guess.

None of the tires state that they are reinforced. And, are the 'Orig Eq' tires actually tires that meet specs for being shipped on vehicles from manufacturers My local tire man has told me that "original factory tires ALWAYS wear better and longer than ANY replacement tires." Is he correct? If so, shouldn't I go for that choice?

Any correlation between survey data and the tires listed above would be helpful! Any input on what any of YOU would choose for quality and longevity would be helpful.

NOTE: The prices are only included for comparison purposes. These were the prices listed as of yesterday - and I am in no way trying to promote the TireRack. I will probably buy locally for the associated service (mounting, balancing and rotation every 10k miles) but I do use Tire Rack as a point of reference so that I can ask for what I want with some knowledge.

Thankx- Kenyon -- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Kenyon Fairey, Re.D. Adjunct Assistant Professor Head, Help Desk Services & Human Dimensions of Resource Management Software Support Department of Forestry & Office of Information Technologies Wildlife Management - - - - - - - - - - - - - A 117, Lederle Graduate Research Center Internet -- KFairey@OIT.UMass.EDU University of Massachusetts Phone -- (413)-545-4366 Amherst, MA 01003 FAX -- (413)-545-3203