Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Mar 1997 20:01:05 -0500 (EST)
From:         SyncroHead@aol.com
Subject:      Re: RESULTS - Tire Survey

In a message dated 97-03-05 13:56:34 EST, mdstockr@neo.lrun.com (mdstockr) writes:

> I am just going by tire diameter, not odometer set-up. > > I calculate tire outside diameter to be approximately the > following: > > 185R14 25.9" 0% > 195/70R14 24.7" -5% > 195/75R14 25.5" -2% > 205/70R14 25.3" -2% > 27X8.50 14 27.0" +4% > 225R14 28.5" +10% > > Now, all mechanical speedometers are typically > conservative by approx. 2%. > > So, with 27X8.50 14 tires, I would expect the speedometer > is reading 2% slower than with 185R14. At an indicated 65 > MPH, that's 1 MPH or an actual speed of 66 MPH.

This assumes that a 27" tire is really 27" and that the virtual rolling radius is the same as the static unloaded radius of the tire. In actuality, a 27" tire is about 25.7" to 26.3" unloaded diameter depending on the manufacturer. Then, load the tire with the weight of the van and start driving and the tire's shape can deviate a lot. Other variables are inflation pressures and the width of the rim used. Tires are measured by manufactures using a particular rim width. Wider rims will diminish the overall diameter of the tire.

About the only way to know for sure is to compare the actual odometer readings with a known distance driven. Using your math above the "right" tire diameter for a Vanagon would be about 25.9". But even then, the "right" diameter would depend on rim width and tire pressures.

Speedometer error is not directly related to odometer error. The odometer error can be eliminated and you may still have speedometer error. The odometer has a direct mechanical link to the road and can be adjusted by changes in tire size, inflation pressures, and the gear ratios in the odometer drive. Speed is more or less "inferred" from the speed of the cable which throws more variability into the speed measurement than the distance measurement. Speedometer error is also not necessarily linear. Many speedometers will read less accurate at low speede and actually be more accurate at higher speeds. One of the car magazines (Car & Driver I think) includes a table of indicated speed vs actual speed in their road tests. Most new cars are really very close to the actual speeds and usually the indicated speed equals the actual speed.

Regards, Jim Davis 87 GL Syncro 88 GL Wolfsburg