Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Mar 1997 01:48:53 GMT
From:         Andrew Chapman <chaps@globalnet.co.uk>
Subject:      wisdom sought on 68? camper

Hello there,

Perhaps somebody can help me here....

I'm just about to buy a camper off some bloke up east - seems like a nice honest bloke - but I'm not totally sure that it is what he says it is. He didn't seem too sure either.

It's a left hand drive and was supposedly imported from god knows where in 1994 when it was first registered in the UK with no previous history. It was given a 'Q' plate - as the year of manufacture wasn't known. The mystery begins....

As for where it originally came from - the only clue is these two great big black air filters in the back that apperently suggest somewhere hot and dusty. There's also very little rust on the body work.

As for the year - there seems to be lots of conflicting evidence.

Not knowing exactly where to look, I came up with what I think were 3 chassis numbers. The most convincing was on a bit of metal stuck on to the floor of the engine bay which read 228 120 038 - which means a 68 bus I believe. This matched the number on a lump of metal stuck behin the driver's seat. However, behind the passenger seat, there was a much more official looking aluminium plate with the VIN clearly beginning with 263 - a '73 pickup! What does all this mean. Has someone seriously stuck a bus and a pickup together or what. If so, they've done a bloody good job - the body work is all very clean and tidy and I certaintly couldn't see any joins. So why the discrepency in chassis numbers.

The original paint colour is a kind of slatey sky blue. All the interior and upper body are in this colour. I don't believe this could possibly be a respray - hence probably not two vans. The bottom half on the outside looks like it has been sprayed cream.

Outstanding features.... 1. Crescent shaped rear body air intake scoops - so pre 1972. 2. Front door arm rest air ducts - so post 1970? 3. Nice dash with a clock and a squeeze wiper jet button, with the wiper fluid in a bottle down on the r.h.s. which needs pumping up. All looks very original. 4. Lights are flat square/oval at the back. Indicators low down at the front. 5. Rear side windows had opening quarter lights in them.

That's all I can think of.

If anyone can explain the chassis numbers, or can tell me anything to look out for that will give a definate age I'd really appreciate it.

Whatever, it looks to me like a very nice van, and I can't wait to pick it up on Saturday and see what all this bus fuss is about.

Cheers, Andy